Undergoing a medical operation/surgery can be nerve-wracking. Patients put trust in their doctor and the medical staff to carry out the procedure carefully and effectively. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Mistakes can be made at any point before, during or after the procedure.
What is a surgery error?
Improper planning, miscommunication, neglect, incompetence, or extreme fatigue on the part of the operating team can lead to mistakes in the operating room. There are various errors that can be made in the surgery process, including:
- Failing to take a patient’s medical history completely beforehand
- Performing surgery on the wrong part of the patient’s body
- Performing an unnecessary surgery
- Delaying surgery
- Using surgical tools negligently
- Causing damage to other areas/organs of the patient’s body
- Making reckless decisions under pressure
- Leaving surgical instruments in the patient’s body
- Discharging the patient from the hospital too soon
- Failing to properly monitor vital signs
- Failing to give proper medication preoperatively
All these examples can contribute to complications, which can result in disability or even death. Such outcomes leave the patient and/or his or her family with pain, suffering, lost wages, medical bills and possible mental or emotional repercussions.
Thurswell Law can represent you in your medical malpractice case
Call for a free consultation. We will not charge a fee unless you collect. Call Thurswell Law today at (248) 354-2222.