Frequently Asked Questions: Thurswell Law Firm FAQs

FAQ Thurswell Law Firm

FAQ Thurswell Law Firm

Q: What kind of compensation can I expect if a family member is killed by a drunk driver? 

Drunk drivers who cause fatal accidents will likely face criminal charges. In addition, you may be able to bring a civil suit against them to recover damages for your loss. This financial compensation can help with funeral costs, lost wages or earning potential, emotional pain and suffering, and more. The amount of compensation you receive depends on your individual circumstances and varies widely from one case to another. The best way to determine how much you can expect is with a free consultation with a Michigan wrongful death lawyer. Call Thurswell Law today at (866) 354-5544 for more information.

Q: Can I collect damages for pain and suffering from an auto accident?

In Michigan, a lawsuit against the at-fault driver or owner of the at-fault vehicle helps to compensate the person who was seriously injured. This is known as a third-party claim, and it must be filed within three years from the date of the accident. Contact an experienced auto accident attorney as soon as possible if you are seriously injured in an accident. Don’t wait too long to protect your ability to file a lawsuit and to collect and preserve evidence you may need to win your case.  Call Thurswell Law today for your free consultation. There’s no fee unless you collect.

Q: How long do I have to file a medical malpractice case against a Michigan hospital? 

The time limit for filing a lawsuit is called the statute of limitations. The general rule for medical malpractice cases is that a patient has two years from the date of the malpractice to file a lawsuit against all negligent healthcare providers. There are some exceptions to this rule, including cases for children or those involving wrongful death and whether or not the hospital committing the malpractice is a state-run institution. It is important to contact an experienced Michigan medical malpractice attorney immediately if you suspect that malpractice has occurred so that your right to sue is not taken away by virtue of the statute of limitations. Contact Thurswell Law today for a free consultation on how to begin the medical malpractice process.

Q: What compensation can I expect to recover after a head injury?

If a negligent driver caused the wreck that led to your injury, you may be able to recover damages. Though the exact amount of your settlement or verdict will depend on your individual circumstances, you may be able to earn compensation for your medical bills, ongoing care, missed time at work, and pain or emotional suffering. The best way to learn more about what you may be eligible to recover is by requesting a free consultation with a Michigan car accident lawyer that you can trust. Call Thurswell Law toll free at (866) 354-5544 for more information about your legal rights.

Q: Can the driver or trucking company be held liable for my Michigan truck accident?

The victim of a Michigan truck accident has rights, and personal injury laws are designed to protect those rights. Truck drivers and trucking companies can be held accountable for the harm caused by negligent driving or unsafe company policies. The law enables victims to recover damages for medical costs, lost wages, and more. If you or a loved one has been involved in a Michigan truck accident, you should speak with an attorney as soon as possible. Call Thurswell Law at 866-354-5544 for a free consultation today.

Q: How do I find the best lawyer for my Michigan motor vehicle accident case?

If you have been injured in a Michigan motor vehicle accident that was caused by a negligent driver, you may be eligible to recover damages from the crash. This can include compensation for your medical bills, ongoing care and treatment, or permanent damage, and even pain or emotional suffering. Call Thurswell Law toll-free at (866) 354-5544 to learn more. There’s no cost unless we get money for you.

Q: What kinds of car accident injuries can I recover damages for?

When you’re involved in a Michigan car accident caused by a negligent driver, you should be able to recover damages for all of the injuries you sustain, including burns, lacerations, broken bones, back injuries, neck injuries, head injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and loss of life of a loved one. For more information on how you can collect financial compensation after an accident, call the experienced Michigan car accident attorneys at Thurswell Law toll-free at (866) 354-5544.

Q: Can I collect benefits even if I was at fault in the accident?

Michigan is a no-fault state. That means both parties are entitles to benefits from their insurance companies, regardless of who caused the accident. Unfortunately, if you are the driver of a vehicle registered in Michigan, but your vehicle is not insured, you might not be able to collect. You should check with an attorney who has experience with Michigan no-fault laws to determine whether or not you are entitles to benefits (and who will pay those benefits). In general, Michigan law says you have only one year from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit or collect the no-fault benefits to which you are entitled, so it’s important to reach out to an experienced lawyer as soon after the accident as possible.

Q: What are my rights if I was prescribed the wrong medicine?

Medication mistakes occur when negligent doctors or nurses misdiagnose your condition, give out the wrong medicine, administer an incorrect dosage, or prescribe a medicine to which you are allergic. In these cases, you may be able to recover damages from the negligent medical professionals. This financial compensation may cover the resulting medical bills, therapy, and lost wages for missed time at work. To learn about your legal rights in these Michigan medication mistakes cases, contact the Michigan medical malpractice attorneys at Thurswell Law today. You can schedule a free consultation about your claim by calling us toll-free at (866) 354-5544.

Q: What can I do if I was a victim of malpractice during surgery at a Michigan hospital?

Under Michigan law, a patient can sue a hospital under limited circumstances. If the medical malpractice was committed by a hospital employee, then the patient can sue the hospital. Such cases include negligence committed by nurses, radiologists, anesthesiologists, emergency room physicians, and other hospital employees. If the malpractice was committed by a surgeon who was not directly employed by the hospital, then the hospital is only liable under certain circumstances. It is important to contact an experienced Michigan medical malpractice attorney at Thurswell Law to determine who can be held accountable. Malpractice lawsuits seek settlements and compensation for patients and their families harmed by medical negligence.

Q: Can I collect money for an overdose of medications by a Michigan hospital?

If a Michigan hospital gave you the wrong medication or an overdose of medications, and the mistake caused you to suffer further injuries or complications, then you may have a medical malpractice case against the hospital.

Q: Can I file a medical malpractice case in Michigan if my doctor failed to diagnose cancer at an early stage?

In order to win a case for the failure to timely diagnose cancer, it must be proven through expert testimony that the delay in treatment has significantly affected your outcome. These cases present many challenging medical and legal issues. If you feel that you or a loved one was a victim of this type of medical malpractice, contact an attorney at Thurswell Law immediately to investigate your case.

Q: Do I need a lawyer to help with my Erb’s palsy medical malpractice case?

If your child struggles with Erb’s Palsy, and you believe the condition is a result of negligence on the part of the doctors or nurses who assisted in the delivery, then your family may be eligible to recover monetary damages. The medical and legal knowledge involved in a Michigan birth injury cases is very complex. Insurance companies, whose goal is to pay you as little as possible, may use tricks and tactics that you’re simply not equipped to handle. Having an experienced Michigan birth injury attorney on your side ensures that you have the legal and medical knowledge to make a strong case. For more information on how to proceed with your case, or to talk more in depth about how to hire the right Michigan birth injury lawyer for you, call Thurswell Law at 866-354-5544 and schedule a free consultation. There is no obligation to hire us, and we charge nothing unless you win your case.

Q: How long do I have to file a birth injury claim in Michigan?

There is a statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim in Michigan. If a lawsuit is not filed before this time period expires, the victim is no longer eligible to pursue legal action. In most cases of Michigan birth injuries, action must be taken within two years of the medical mistake or prior to the child’s 10th birthday, whichever date comes later. Beyond the statute of limitations, is the need to obtain medical care for your child’s birth injuries. Contacting a Michigan birth injury lawyer will enable you to get the best possible outcome for you and your family. Call Thurswell Law today at 1-866-354-5544 to learn more.

Q: What are the rights of the parents in cerebral palsy cases?

If your child has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy, then you are probably struggling to cope with it. As the parent of a victim of medical malpractice, you can file a lawsuit to recover damages for your child’s injury. In this way, you can earn financial compensation for medical bills, ongoing care, and much more. For more information about your legal rights, call Thurswell Law today at 866-354-5544, and request a free consultation. It is important that you act quickly to give your family the best possible chance to make things right.

Q: What is cerebral palsy?

Cerebral palsy can result when the baby suffers a lack of oxygen during the birth process. It is a motor coordination problem that results from injury to the part of the brain that controls voluntary muscle use and coordination. The condition is often associated with seizures and some degree of mental impairment. Cerebral palsy can be different from one individual to another, depending on the area of the brain affected and the severity of the injury. Children with cerebral palsy need ongoing medical treatment, physical and occupational therapy, medical supplies, supervision, and educational support. If your child is suffering from cerebral palsy, contact Thurswell Law to request an immediate investigation of the labor and delivery process to determine whether or not cerebral palsy could have been prevented.

Q: What is the difference between a birth injury and a birth defect?

A birth injury is harm to the baby that occurs as a result of a doctor’s negligent actions or inaction. Birth injuries can happen during pregnancy, labor, delivery, or the moments following birth. A birth defect is a problem that occurs during pregnancy. It can result from genetics, infection, the mother’s lifestyle, or exposure to toxins. A doctor’s negligence does not cause a birth defect, but doctor’s should be held accountable for detecting the abnormality and treating it accordingly. If your child has suffered a birth injury or birth defect and you believe that medical professionals contributed to the problem, contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at Thurswell Law. We want to help you win compensation for your losses. Call today for a free consultation to discuss your case.  No fee unless you collect.

Q: What are some examples of birth injuries?

During the labor and delivery process, any number of birth injuries can occur, including brain injury, Erb’s palsy, fetal distress, premature birth, spinal cord injury, facial paralysis, oxygen deprivation, untreated jaundice, and stillbirth. Parents of children who’ve suffered birth injuries have the right to file a lawsuit if those injuries were caused by the negligence of a doctor, nurse, anesthesiologist, or other healthcare professional. Contact Thurswell Law for your free consultation to learn your legal rights and compensation opportunities.

Q: How common are birth injuries?

About seven in every 1,000 births result in serious injury to the mother or child. This means that there are a staggering 30,000 birth injuries in the United States each year.

Q: What is Erb’s palsy?

Erb’s palsy is the result of an injury that occurs when the nerves in a baby’s upper arm become damaged during the labor and delivery process. If a baby’s head or neck are pulled too hard during labor or delivery, or if the head or neck is twisted or bent too far, a brachial plexus injury may occur, resulting in Erb’s palsy It can cause partial or complete paralysis of the shoulder, upper arm, elbow, forearm, wrist, hand, or fingers. If your child from the complications of Erb’s Palsy, contact Thurswell Law for a free consultation. Learn your legal rights and how to receive financial compensation for errors caused by hospital medical personnel during childbirth.

Q: What should I do if I fall or get injured on someone else’s property?

Your first step after a slip and fall accident is to seek medical treatment for your injuries. Tell the doctor or hospital staff that you were injured as the result of a fall. Your immediate next step is to get in touch with a lawyer who has experience with premises liability cases. In Michigan, you must file your lawsuit within a specific period of time after your fall or injury. Your attorney will want to take action immediately in order to preserve any evidence related to your fall or injury. Call Thurswell Law today for a free consultation about how to collect compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering caused by an accident that was not your fault.

Q: What if I fall because of a poorly maintained city sidewalk?

Many slips and trips on public streets are caused by weather conditions – rain, ice, snow – and just as many occur because the city has not done its job. Your city has an obligation to its citizens to keep sidewalks and streets in reasonably good condition. If your fall is caused by a poorly maintained sidewalk or street, then you should take pictures of the site and contact an attorney immediately.The city must be notified about your fall within 120 days. Contact our experienced personal injury lawyers at Thurswell Law today regarding your legal rights.

Q: What if I am bitten or injured by someone’s dog?

The first thing you should do is seek treatment for your injury. Immediately after that, you should contact an attorney. The amount you collect for dog bite injuries is determined by the severity of your injuries and whether or not you have significant permanent scars. It’s also important to determine what type of insurance coverage the dog owner or property owner has – a task best left to our experienced staff. Call our expert personal injury attorneys at Thurswell Law as soon as possible for a free consultation.

Q: What damages can I seek for the wrongful death of a loved one?

Under Michigan law, a wrongful death lawsuit may pursue compensation for several types of damages, including damages for the pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of companionship, loss of future earnings, and loss of benefits, such as pensions or medical coverage, that would have helped support the victim’s spouse, children, and other dependents. If you suspect that a loved one was the victim of a wrongful death, call our experienced lawyers at Thurswell Law today.

Q: Who can file a Michigan lawsuit when negligence causes a relative’s death?

In Michigan, the spouse, children, or parents of the deceased are typically given priority in serving as the personal representative of the estate. If there is a dispute between family members about who should serve in this capacity, then the court will look to the statute and other factors to decide whom to appoint in that role. The person who sues for the wrongful death may recover monetary damages from the party responsible for the death. If you feel that a family member died due to someone else’s negligence, contact Thurswell Law immediately for your free consultation about your rights. There’s no fee unless you collect.

Q: How is disability defined by Social Security?

Social Security defined disability can be difficult to understand. According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), disability is defined as “the inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment which can be expected to result in death or has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.” Call Thurswell Law today for free consultation on Social Security defined disability information.

Q: What types of Social Security benefits are available for disabled people?

An individual who becomes disabled and is unable to work may be able to collect disability benefits for the family. These benefits include Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, widow/widower benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, Medicaid, Medicare, and benefits for adults disabled before age 22. Call Thurswell Law today to discuss the Social Security benefits that may be available to you and your family. Consultation is free consultation, and there’s no fee unless you collect.

Q: How do I apply for Social Security benefits?

Many SSDI (Social Security Disability) and SSI (Supplemental Security Income) claimants have no idea how to properly prepare a disability case for a hearing, so the odds of winning before an administrative law judge (ALJ) are better if you do. Call Thurswell Law today for help with your Social Security benefits claim. Our experienced attorneys will give your case the attention it needs to get you the benefits you deserve.

Q: How long should I wait after becoming disabled to file my Social Security claim?

Social Security claimants delay benefits claim submissions for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest mistakes is waiting too long to apply for those much-needed disability benefits. If you have a serious illness or injury that you expect will disable you for a year or more, file your claim as soon as you can. It can take months to obtain a decision. And although no benefits will be paid for the first five months from the onset of disability, benefits can be paid retroactively for up to one year from the date a disability claim was filed. Contact Thurswell Law today for a free consultation and more information on when and how to file your Social Security benefits claim.

Q: How do sick leave and workers’ comp affect Social Security Disability benefits? 

Q: How will my Social Security claim be considered, and what can I do to improve my chances of winning?

The Social Security Administration (SSA) is supposed to consider the information in your medical records, along with your age, education and work experience, to determine whether or not you are considered “disabled.” Many claims are denied initially, but you do have the right to appeal. Hiring a lawyer who has experience with Social Security benefits claims is the best way to win an appeal.  Call Thurswell Law today for a free consultation.

Q: What should I avoid doing when I am involved in a lawsuit?

When you are involved in a lawsuit, your case relies on accurate accounts for your claim. Do not give written, oral, or recorded statements regarding your accident or injuries to anyone without first obtaining approval from your attorney. Do not make inaccurate statements regarding prior injuries or accidents to doctors who treat or examine you. If you don’t remember something, then say so. Do not make an incorrect statement to doctors about your current medical condition. Call Thurswell Law today for advice on how to correctly give an  accurate legal statement so as not to jeopardize your legal claim.

Q: What legal claim records should I keep?

When it comes to deciding whether or not to keep your legal claim records, the rule of thumb is to keep them. You should retain all records regarding lost work time and wages, expenses resulting from your injuries, all medical bills regarding your claim, and a running list of physical limitations you are experiencing and activities you can no longer participate in but could before the accident. Copies of checks and receipts of payment will prove helpful when you are asked to explain your pain, physical limitations, and out-of-pocket expenses, such as medication and co-pays. If you are not sure about which records to keep in regards to your legal claim, contact Thurswell Law today for your free consultation.

Q: Why Do I need an attorney to collect money that I’m entitled to under the law?

Michigan laws are extremely complicated and are continuously changing. Without an experienced Thurswell attorney on your side, insurance companies can twist the law to take advantage of you and your situation. If you sign an insurance settlement release without advice from an attorney, you could very well lose your right to collect the money damages to which you are entitled. It’s best to hire an experienced Thurswell lawyer  as soon as possible to avoid making mistakes that could cost you money. Protect yourself: contact Thurswell Law as soon as possible for your free consultation. There is absolutely no fee to discuss your legal rights. It’s time to claim your compensation.

Q: When should I file a lawsuit?

If you (or a family member) suffer an injury, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit to recover compensation for that injury. This is a legal decision that is best made in consultation with an experienced lawyer. Before filing suit, a Thurswell Law attorney will obtain your permission and help you navigate the legal complexities involved. A settlement is always possible. Negotiations continue even after a lawsuit has been filed, and only a small percentage of lawsuits actually go to trial. Call Thurswell Law today to discuss the legal steps involved with filing a claim. There’s no fee unless we get money for you.

Q: Who can I talk to about my case?

You should not discuss your case with anyone except your attorney. Do not talk to friends or family about your legal claim because  anything you say to them can be turned around and used against you. If your insurance company wants to discuss your case before they pay your medical bills, you should refer them to your attorney.Call Thurswell Law today to speak with one of our many experienced attorneys. During your free consultation, you will learn about your legal rights and how to file for compensation. And there’s never a fee unless we collect money for you.

Q: How can I afford to pay a lawyer?

At Thurswell Law, you pay nothing unless you receive compensation. Contact us today for your free consultation.

Q: What are the symptoms of brachial plexus palsy?

Brachial plexus palsy occurs when undue pressure is put on a child’s neck during delivery. Symptoms include arm paralysis, numbness in arm or hand, loss of muscle control in arms, and difficulty picking up objects. If you believe that your child is suffering from brachial plexus palsy as the result of negligence by medical professionals, then call the Michigan birth injury lawyers of Thurswell Law today at (866) 354-5544 for more information about your legal rights

(248) 354-2222
1000 Town Center, Suite 500 Southfield, MI 48075
Have a question? Contact Us for Free Case Consultation GET STARTED NOW!